Re: Aptitude Not Using Packages From Volatile

This one time, at band camp, Jason Self said:
> I'm using Debian Sarge 3.1r1. After adding deb
> http://volatile.debian.net/debian-volatile sarge/volatile main into
> sources.list, I ran apt-get update, which returned:

[ ... ]

>  *** 3.0.3-2 0
>         500 http://debian.oregonstate.edu stable/main Packages
>         500 http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu stable/main Packages
>         500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You'll notice that there is no version of spamassasssin from volatile
listed.  This is because spmassassin changed fairly fundamentally in
this version, and it is not a straightforward upgrade path.  To use the
latest version, add
deb http://volatile.debian.net/debian-volatile sarge/volatile-sloppy main

To your sources.list.  You will likely also have to adjust
apt/preferences as well, but having the correct archive is sort of
essential.

HTH, and take care,