Re: Copy from Firefox and paste into Terminal with Vim

On 6/2/24 07:14, David Christensen wrote:
debian-user:

I have a laptop with:

2024-02-05 15:04:48 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a ; dpkg-query -W xfce4 firefox-esr vim
11.8
Linux laalaa 5.10.0-27-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.205-2 (2023-12-31) x86_64 GNU/Linux
firefox-esr    115.7.0esr-1~deb11u1
vim    2:8.2.2434-3+deb11u1
xfce4    4.16

2024-02-05 15:10:08 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ grep -v '"' .vimrc | grep .
map q <Nop>
set autoindent
set backspace=indent,eol,start
set nocompatible
set nomodeline
set number
set numberwidth=8
set paste
set shiftwidth=4
set wildmode=longest,list

Normally, I can cut and paste between Xfce desktop applications.

For example, if I start Firefox, disable all extensions, browse to:

https://www.toyota.com/dealers/

Enter a Zip Code of "12345", highlight the first result, copy it to the clipboard, and paste into this message, I see:

Lia Toyota of Colonie
2116 Central Ave., Rte. 5, Schenectady NY 12304
(5.3 miles)
Today's Hours: 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM
(518) 374-3700

But if I close the above Firefox window, start a Firefox instance, browse to:

https://www.toyota.com/dealers/

Enter a Zip Code of "12345", highlight the first result, copy it to the clipboard, start Terminal, open a file with Vim, press "i" to enter insert mode, and paste, sometimes I see what I copied to the clipboard and sometimes I see nothing.

I am unable to determine if the problem is Firefox, Vim, or something else.

Comments or suggestions?

David

How exactly are you copying and pasting?

Are you marking the text and using Copy and Paste from the menu generated by clicking the non-dominant mouse button, or, are you marking the text, and using <CTRL><C> to copy then <CTRL><V> to paste?

What happens if you copy and paste to an editor such as gedit? Does that work consistently? If so, what happens if you copy and paste to gedit, and then, copy from gedit, and paste to the vim window?

Does it make any difference whether you have the vim session open, and the file open, into which you want to paste, before you copy the text that you want to paste into it?

Have you tried the text editor that is the default editor for alpine (previously known as pine) - I think it is either nano or pico?

Bret Busby
Armadale
Western Australia
(UTC+0800)