OpenSMTPD can't parse smarthost

Folks:

Here's a shot in the dark. I've looked up and down the internet, and can't
find a solution.

I have a mini PC which just serves up videos. Daily it backs up to an
attached drive. This happens with a script in /etc/cron.daily, which
typically emails results to root. In my case it's aliased to me. I have
OpenSMTPD installed with this config:

---

#	$OpenBSD: smtpd.conf,v 1.10 2018/05/24 11:40:17 gilles Exp $

# This is the smtpd server system-wide configuration file.
# See smtpd.conf(5) for more information.

table aliases file:/etc/aliases
table secrets file:/etc/secrets

listen on localhost

action "relay" relay host smtp+notls://paulf@yosemite.mars.lan:25 auth <secrets>

match from local for any action "relay"

---

Note: yosemite is my desktop machine; that where I want the mail to be
sent. "paulf" is a tag in the secrets file. Note that this connection
between the mini PC (buckaroo) and yosemite should be a plain text
connection, very simple. My username and password are in the secrets file.

When I attempt to send a test message to check this all works (via swaks or
mail), I get an error message in the /var/log/mail.log file which says:

"warn: Failed to parse smarthost smtp+notls://paulf@yosemite.mars.lan:25"

Note that the "protocol" doesn't matter. I can use "smtp" alone as the
protocol, and it still won't parse. And yes, yosemite.mars.lan is in my
local hosts file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

--