Re: systemd-resolved resolving fails sometimes on Debian12

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 02:03:32PM +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:
> I completely removed system-resolved as when it is installed it changes the
> DNS configuration to be non-standard

The issues described in this thread are related to libnss-resolve, which
is no longer installed in the Debian 12 cloud images.

In most cases, I don't recommend removing systemd-resolved, as it is
responsible for managing the contents of /etc/resolv.conf based on the
information provided in the DHCP lease.  If you're managing
/etc/resolv.conf yourself, then you can remove systemd-resolved.

> > Thank you for the ideas, I may use them but first I would like to do
> > something about the obvious bug in systemd-resolved.

The name resolution issue with nss-resolve is tracked upstream at
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/29069 and the cloud team's
response to it is discussed in the thread starting with
https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2024/03/msg00017.html

The issue is not present in the current cloud images for AWS or other
environments.

Since the impacted configuration was common to the cloud images but not
the default installation, it might have been worth engaging directly
with the cloud community.  You can file bug reports against
cloud.debian.org or reach out to us on #debian-cloud or
debian-cloud@lists.debian.org.  Most of us aren't regular readers of
debian-user.

noah
(for the cloud team)