Re: Debian ISOs on USB stick, was: SOLVED

On 4/3/24 03:36, David Christensen wrote:
On 4/3/24 00:30, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

David Christensen wrote:
It's a relatively simple experiment to confirm that a USB flash drive with
d-i changes after the first boot.

This could still be
where Lenovo BIOS and/or MS-Windows altered the USB stick.

Same for finding which bytes change.

I fail to find this particular info in
   Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:46:42 -0700
   From: David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>

If we have the exact ISO name (i.e. URL from where it stems) and the
byte address of the alteration, xorriso can find the affected file, if
any.

In case of bug #1056998 it was the EFI partition image /boot/grub/efi.img.
Mounting the altered and unaltered image files showed changes in the
FAT filesystem which point to the culprits Lenovo and Microsoft.

The other plausible way of altering the ISO image on the stick would be
adding a new partition.
The MBR partition table is part of the Debian ISO and thus part of the
checksummed area. Even if all other alterations happen after the end
of the checksummed ISO image, the changed partition table will cause the
Debian checksum to become invalid.

(I am not aware that Debian installer changes the table. If it does indeed
then this might be worth a new bug discussion.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

2024-04-03 03:29:18 root@laalaa /samba/dpchrist/iso/debian/11.3.0
# cmp --verbose debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sdb
   2083201   0 377
   2083202   0 377
   2083203   0 377
   2085249   0 377
   2085250   0 377
   2085251   0 377
   2085409   0 102
   2085410   0  40
   2085412   0 111
   2085414   0 156
   2085416   0 146
   2085418   0 157
   2085420   0  17
   2085422   0 162
   2085423   0 162
   2085425   0 155
   2085427   0 141
   2085429   0 164
   2085431   0 151
   2085433   0 157
   2085437   0 156
   2085441   0   1
   2085442   0 123
   2085444   0 171
   2085446   0 163
   2085448   0 164
   2085450   0 145
   2085452   0  17
   2085454   0 162
   2085455   0 155
   2085457   0  40
   2085459   0 126
   2085461   0 157
   2085463   0 154
   2085465   0 165
   2085469   0 155
   2085471   0 145
   2085473   0 123
   2085474   0 131
   2085475   0 123
   2085476   0 124
   2085477   0 105
   2085478   0 115
   2085479   0 176
   2085480   0  61
   2085481   0  40
   2085482   0  40
   2085483   0  40
   2085484   0  26
   2085486   0 167
   2085487   0 174
   2085488   0 277
   2085489   0 235
   2085490   0 124
   2085491   0 235
   2085492   0 124
   2085495   0 175
   2085496   0 277
   2085497   0 235
   2085498   0 124
   2085500   0   5
   4719105   0  56
   4719106   0  40
   4719107   0  40
   4719108   0  40
   4719109   0  40
   4719110   0  40
   4719111   0  40
   4719112   0  40
   4719113   0  40
   4719114   0  40
   4719115   0  40
   4719116   0  20
   4719118   0 167
   4719119   0 174
   4719120   0 277
   4719121   0 235
   4719122   0 124
   4719123   0 235
   4719124   0 124
   4719127   0 175
   4719128   0 277
   4719129   0 235
   4719130   0 124
   4719132   0   5
   4719137   0  56
   4719138   0  56
   4719139   0  40
   4719140   0  40
   4719141   0  40
   4719142   0  40
   4719143   0  40
   4719144   0  40
   4719145   0  40
   4719146   0  40
   4719147   0  40
   4719148   0  20
   4719150   0 167
   4719151   0 174
   4719152   0 277
   4719153   0 235
   4719154   0 124
   4719155   0 235
   4719156   0 124
   4719159   0 175
   4719160   0 277
   4719161   0 235
   4719162   0 124
   4719169   0 102
   4719170   0 107
   4719172   0 165
   4719174   0 151
   4719176   0 144
   4719180   0  17
   4719182   0 377
   4719183   0 377
   4719184   0 377
   4719185   0 377
   4719186   0 377
   4719187   0 377
   4719188   0 377
   4719189   0 377
   4719190   0 377
   4719191   0 377
   4719192   0 377
   4719193   0 377
   4719194   0 377
   4719197   0 377
   4719198   0 377
   4719199   0 377
   4719200   0 377
   4719201   0   1
   4719202   0 111
   4719204   0 156
   4719206   0 144
   4719208   0 145
   4719210   0 170
   4719212   0  17
   4719214   0 377
   4719215   0 145
   4719217   0 162
   4719219   0 126
   4719221   0 157
   4719223   0 154
   4719225   0 165
   4719229   0 155
   4719231   0 145
   4719233   0 111
   4719234   0 116
   4719235   0 104
   4719236   0 105
   4719237   0 130
   4719238   0 105
   4719239   0 176
   4719240   0  61
   4719241   0  40
   4719242   0  40
   4719243   0  40
   4719244   0  40
   4719246   0 171
   4719247   0 174
   4719248   0 277
   4719249   0 235
   4719250   0 124
   4719251   0 235
   4719252   0 124
   4719255   0 175
   4719256   0 277
   4719257   0 235
   4719258   0 124
   4719259   0   1
   4719260   0   5
   4719261   0 114
   4721153   0 173
   4721155   0  71
   4721157   0 101
   4721159   0  65
   4721161   0 104
   4721163   0 101
   4721165   0 106
   4721167   0  65
   4721169   0  67
   4721171   0  55
   4721173   0  71
   4721175   0 102
   4721177   0  63
   4721179   0  61
   4721181   0  55
   4721183   0  64
   4721185   0  71
   4721187   0  62
   4721189   0 105
   4721191   0  55
   4721193   0 102
   4721195   0  66
   4721197   0 105
   4721199   0  62
   4721201   0  55
   4721203   0  71
   4721205   0 106
   4721207   0  63
   4721209   0  61
   4721211   0  70
   4721213   0 105
   4721215   0  64
   4721217   0  61
   4721219   0  66
   4721221   0 105
   4721223   0  63
   4721225   0  71
   4721227   0 175
cmp: EOF on debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso after byte 396361728

2024-04-03 03:31:50 root@laalaa /samba/dpchrist/iso/debian/11.3.0
#

David

Source of files: