Re: HDD long-term data storage with ensured integrity

On 4/2/24 06:55, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The most obvious alternative to ZFS on Debian would be Btrfs.  Does anyone
have any comments or suggestions regarding Btrfs and data corruption bugs,
concurrency, CMM level, PSP, etc.?

If you're worried about such things, I'd think "the most obvious
alternative" is LVM+ext4.  Both Btrfs and ZFS share the same underlying
problem: more features => more code => more bugs.

         Stefan

AIUI neither LVM nor ext4 have data and metadata checksum and correction features. But, it should be possible to achieve such by including dm-integrity (for checksumming) and some form of RAID (for correction) in the storage stack. I need to explore that possibility further.

David