Re: seeding /dev/random from a security key

Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Out of morbid curiosity, what hardware are the servers using? RDRAND
> and RDSEED have been available since about 2012, so it is mostly
> ubiquitous nowadays.

Do you mean I should add to the e-waste pile by throwing away working
hardware and buy an entire new computer instead of buying a tiny dongle?

> Be careful of rng-tools. It does not do a good job for non-mainstream
> generators, like VIA's Padlock Security Engine. And rng-tools did not
> support generators for architectures, like you would find on ARM,
> aarch64 and PowerPC.

I figure it can be used with devices it supports even if there are some
other devices it doesn't support – but it looks like I'd have to build
it from source myself.

> OpenSSL and GnuPG should be
> able to extract the entropy from the card, and then use it to seed
> /dev/{u}random.

This job requires a daemon. OpenSSL is a library. Or do you mean its
command-line tool? So how would I tell that to fetch random data
through PKCS #11?

GnuPG at least has a daemon called scdaemon. Is that what you mean? So
how would I tell that to fetch random data through PKCS #11 and write
to /dev/random?

Björn Persson