Re: Root password strength

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 2:34 PM Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org> wrote:

> Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote on 20/03/2024 at 19:16:16+0100:
>
>  [...]
> >> Noone asks someone to remember more than two or three passwords. The
> >> rest belongs to a password manager.
> >
> > Huh? This is discussed in detail in Peter Gutmann's Engineering
> > Security, <https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/book.pdf>,
> > Chapter 7. In particular, pages 565-567 discussed the Selfish Security
> > Model.
>
> And because it's discussed in an irrelevant pdf means it's what one asks
> in this thread?

I don't think I would call Gutmann's book on Security Engineering "irrelevant."

Gutmann earned his PhD in Security Usability. He's written two books
on the subject. He also wrote a book on Security Engineering (cited
above). He participates in IETF Working Groups, and has authored a few
RFCs. I would not make the mistake of dismissing his work as
irrelevant.

> Do you want to also bring in security practices from the 80's?

Jeff