Re: printing QR-codes on labels with 300dpi label printers with LaTeX

On Mon, 2024-03-11 at 09:57 +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:
> On 11/3/24 07:34, hw wrote:
> > Do you think that thermal transfer printers with 203dpi would be
> > better suited to print QR codes than the 300dpi multi-mode printers?
> >
> > I'm not fond of thermal transfer at all.  Usually what is being
> > printed that way fades rather quickly over time and is more slightly
> > gray rather than black and so thin that it's hard to read even when
> > freshly printed.  Perhaps better labels are available, but the labels
> > must not get too expensive ...
>

> Thermal transfer and thermal direct printers have the same resolution.
>
> Thermal transfer printers are used for archival labels as they fade very
> little over time.
>
> Direct thermal printers are intended for mailing applications where it
> doesn't matter if they fade after a few months.
>
> Given that, I think a lot of commercial shippers use thermal transfer
> for mailing labels. Very few shippers use laser printed adhesive address
> label, nor non-adhesive in pockets or pouches.
>
> To print a QR code or other 2D code on any thermal printer, the printer
> manufacturer will supply an application that generate the codes and
> prints them independently of the host printing system. These codes will
> scan perfectly.

Even if they did that, it would be totally useless because it won't be
able to automatically print labels from databases.

> It is possible to use document generation tools like latex and printing
> systems like CUPS to print a label, but pixel registration will be poor.

Why?  The manufacturer provided a CPUS printer driver without which
printing wouldn't be possible at all.

> The only practical option for this route is to print the code BIG

That's what I thought, but then the codes won't fit on the labels.
That's why I wonder if there's a better way.