Re: strange time problem with bullseye

On 3/7/24 00:22, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 08:06:15PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
Look at the chronyd settime command and the chrony.conf makestep
directive.  These are intended for your situation.

This from man(8) ntpd:

  -g, --panicgate
    Allow the first adjustment to be Big.  This option may appear an
    unlimited number of times.

    Normally, ntpd exits with a message to the system log if the off‐
    set exceeds the panic threshold, which is 1000 s by default. This
    option allows the time to be set to any value without restric‐
    tion; however, this can happen only once. If the threshold is ex‐
    ceeded after that, ntpd will exit with a message to the system
    log. This option can be used with the -q and -x options.  See the
    tinker configuration file directive for other options.

  -G, --force-step-once
    Step any initial offset correction..
    [...]

Cheers

So I purged ntpsec and re-installed chrony which I had done once before with no luck but this time timedatectl was stopped and it worked!

Now, how do I assure timedatectl stays stopped on a reboot? systemd's docs are positively opaque about that even if they do go on for megabytes. Surprisingly the chrony.conf setting to use my own server setup on this machine making me a level 2 ntp server, magically re-appeared.

Seems like it should have a disable option to match the enable but playing 50 monkeys didn't find it.

Thanks take care & stay well Tomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis