Re: script/history

On Sun 04/02/2024 at 19:45, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> According to this man page for csh (but includes tcsh):
>
>   https://linux.die.net/man/1/csh
>
> the "a" that modifies modifiers is a "[feature] of tcsh not found
> in most csh(1) implementations (specifically, the 4.4BSD csh)". It
> appears that bash supports it syntactically, but not its semantics.
> I'm not sure why you mentioned this shell detail specifically.

I was just highlighting a way to see if behaviour differs between bash "proper" and script running in bash.

cf.

"a (+)
Apply the following modifier as many times as possible to a single word ..."
https://linux.die.net/man/1/csh

"a
Cause changes to be applied over the entire event line ..."
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Word-Designators

Thanks
Gareth