Re: script/history

On Sun 04 Feb 2024 at 16:01:29 (+0000), Gareth Evans wrote:
> On Sun 04/02/2024 at 13:24, Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 04/02/2024 16:46, Gareth Evans wrote:
> >> Re the script command, does anyone know of a way [ … ]
> > [...]
> >> man script says
> >>
> >> "SEE ALSO
> >>         csh(1) (for the history mechanism)"

My take on this is that the man page was originally written for
BSD, which lies on the csh side of the "great divide" rather
than the sh/bash side.

SCRIPT(1)             User Commands                  SCRIPT(1)
[ … ]
HISTORY
       The script command appeared in 3.0BSD.

I have no idea why "the history mechanism" is even mentioned
in the man page for script.

> The function of the "a" option in History Substitution in man csh seems different in the bash version.(under "Word Designators" in man bash/gnu online manual)

According to this man page for csh (but includes tcsh):

  https://linux.die.net/man/1/csh

the "a" that modifies modifiers is a "[feature] of tcsh not found
in most csh(1) implementations (specifically, the 4.4BSD csh)". It
appears that bash supports it syntactically, but not its semantics.
I'm not sure why you mentioned this shell detail specifically.

Cheers,
David.