Re: Network Problem: Redirection

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:52:48 -0500
Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> Well, we don't know what's "right" or "wrong" on your networks.  These
> are private (non-routable) addresses with no meaning to anyone but you
> and your fellow network denizens.

Agree.

> If you need different name resolution depending on whether you're
> running on the host vs. running on the guest, then I would imagine
> there is some well-known way to define that.  Perhaps a different
> hosts file that's only used by guests?  I don't know virtualization
> stuff well.

Yup. I took a quick and dirty route to solve a problem, and it leaked
over into another area. Sigh. The solution I took depends on the fact
that the libvirtual stuff uses dnsmasq for DNS and DHCP. And dnsmasq
reads the host machine's hosts file. Nice. But, as you pointed out, so
does the host machine's DNS lookup stuff. Sigh.

Possibly the solution to this problem is to see if I can take it out of
hosts, add it to dnsmasq directly, and finagle dnsmasq to only be
visible to the virtual machines.

But I don't think that will solve the routing problem.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/