Re: Bookworm: NetworkManager

On 10/21/23 15:41, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 03:29:40PM -0400, Pocket wrote:
I don't get you context here as the problem is simply trying to get
networkmanager to quit writing /etc/resolv.conf.
The context -- what has certain people confused -- is that most people who
do what you're doing run the DNS and DHCP servers on the *same machine*.

They're wondering why you are running those on *different* machines.

Now, personally I don't care.  I'm just watching the drama play out.

the DHCP server is on a router

Running DNS service on a machine is done by many

If I can do this then my issue is solved.
Except you've also got some self-imposed restrictions:

1) You're using a non-vanilla Debian installation method that installs
    Network Manager despite not choosing a desktop environment.

2) You refuse to remove Network Manager despite it being the apparent
    source of your problems.

I would like to get this working as is

3) You refuse to install any package that you don't already have.

    Points 1, 2 and 3 taken together seem to point toward some sort of
    virtualization story ("I need to be able to replicate this setup
    later") that's also being hidden from us, but who knows.

I would like not to install or remove any packages

4) You refuse the chattr +i solution which would solve the problem in
    one simple step.  (This one doesn't surprise me.  A lot of people
    object to it on some sort of religious ground.  I don't understand
    the objection, but it's so common that it's no longer a surprise.)

That is a crutch, ie If you can configure something then use chatter +i

I prefer to do this correctly

--
It's not easy to be me