Re: Bookworm: NetworkManager

On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 03:29:40PM -0400, Pocket wrote:
> I don't get you context here as the problem is simply trying to get
> networkmanager to quit writing /etc/resolv.conf.

The context -- what has certain people confused -- is that most people who
do what you're doing run the DNS and DHCP servers on the *same machine*.

They're wondering why you are running those on *different* machines.

Now, personally I don't care.  I'm just watching the drama play out.

> If I can do this then my issue is solved.

Except you've also got some self-imposed restrictions:

1) You're using a non-vanilla Debian installation method that installs
   Network Manager despite not choosing a desktop environment.

2) You refuse to remove Network Manager despite it being the apparent
   source of your problems.

3) You refuse to install any package that you don't already have.

   Points 1, 2 and 3 taken together seem to point toward some sort of
   virtualization story ("I need to be able to replicate this setup
   later") that's also being hidden from us, but who knows.

4) You refuse the chattr +i solution which would solve the problem in
   one simple step.  (This one doesn't surprise me.  A lot of people
   object to it on some sort of religious ground.  I don't understand
   the objection, but it's so common that it's no longer a surprise.)