Re: awk not just using the Field separator as such. it is using the blank space as well ...

lbrtchx@gmail.com wrote:
>On 2/21/23, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
>> I have a funny feeling Albretch might be using Microsoft file systems
>> (FAT, NTFS) for a large chunk of his system.  Those have a much larger
>> set of restricted characters.
>
> Certainly not FAT32 and definitely not FAT, but at work (I work as a
>Math teacher and most schools use Microsoft) I have had to use WSL and
>NTFS. I always thought that  FSs used length-defined raster data
>structures in order to avoid messing with points and such things.

Different filesystems can vary massively here, you can't really assume
anything. All of the following can vary in filesystems supported by
Linux:

 * allowed characters in filenames
 * allowed filename lengths
 * allowed full-path lengths
 * character encodings for filenames
 * case-sensitivity
 * max number of files per directory
 * max number of files per filesystem
 * timestamps (minimum, maximum and resolution)
 * support for symlinks and hardlinks
 * support for extended attributes, permissions and and ACLs
 * ...

The VFS layer does a very good job of hiding the complexity and giving
you a reasonably consistent view, but it's not difficult to find edges
if you look. :-)

< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
          note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
          fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"