Re: awk not just using the Field separator as such. it is using the blank space as well ...

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 05:19:13AM +0000, Tim Woodall wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>
> > On 2/15/23, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> >
> > The reason why I use pipes as field delimiter is because it is an
> > excellent meta character when you are working with filesystems. Pipes
> > would not accepted for files or directory names for good reasons,
> > anyway.
> >

> tim@einstein(7):~ (none)$ touch 'i|use|pipes'
> tim@einstein(7):~ (none)$ ls -l i*use*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 tim tim 0 Feb 21 05:14 'i|use|pipes'
> tim@einstein(7):~ (none)$ rm i\|use\|pipes
> tim@einstein(7):~ (none)$
>
> AFAIR only / and nul are prohibited in file names.

In Unix-like file systems, including Debian's default ext4, this is true.

I have a funny feeling Albretch might be using Microsoft file systems
(FAT, NTFS) for a large chunk of his system.  Those have a much larger
set of restricted characters.