Re: Flatpak memory usage

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 09:35:34AM -0500, paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> Am I correct in assuming that package formats like Flatpak, Snap and
> Appimage, because they package up everything with the executable, would
> consume more system memory?

"Yes, but it depends."

Let's say you have two applications linked with libjpeg -- one regular
Debian package, which uses the Debian dynamic libjpeg, and one flatpak
thing that's either statically linked with its own libjpeg, or brings
along its own dynamic libjpeg.

If you run both of those at the same time, then you'll have two different
versions of libjpeg in memory.

However, if you only run *one* of them at a time, then there'll only be
one instance of libjpeg in memory.