Re: New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series 3511 sound problem on Debian 11 Stable

Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> writes:

> xserver-xorg-video-cirrus_1.5.3-1+b3_amd64.deb for Debian Stable (Bullseye) does seem to be at
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bullseye main
> but that is not a backport.

It's also not a Linux kernel and not relevant to your sound HW. Just
some video support for ancient video hardware. I don't think Cirrus
Logic has done video HW since the 90s.

> I hate to sound stupid, but could someone please tell me how to add that to the
> Debian 11.6 "live" usb stick?
>
> I know how to enable the bullseye backports repository in
> /etc/apt/sources.list, but then I dont know how to "get to" and use backports; I've never had to do that before.

Just need to give -t repo option to apt:

apt install -t bullseye-backports linux-image-amd64

Although, I don't think you can install a new kernel in a live system
with apt. Don't know for sure though. That's why I said it'd be easy to
add to an installed system.

I don't know if enabling persistence with the live system would allow
booting with a new kernel, it's been a while since I last played with
anything live. But that too needs some figuring out as I recall.

So, install on a USB thing or resize the Windows partition in your
laptop and install in the newly freed space.