Re: New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series 3511 sound problem on Debian 11 Stable

On Sun 12 Feb 2023 at 10:23:59 (-0500), Default User wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 7:58 AM Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> wrote:
> > Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > The dumbed-down make-believe BIOS on the new computer lists the Audio
> > Controller as:
> > > "Cirrus Logic CS8409".
> >
> > So it looks like this is the actual sound hardware that's in use, not
> > the Tiger Lake stuff. A quick search found
> > https://www.phoronix.com/news/Cirrus-Dolphin-Linux-Audio which says
> > shows support was added in Linux kernel 5.15.
> >
> > Not available for Debian 11 except as a backport, which is easily added
> > to an existing installation, even on USB media. There doesn't seem to be
> > live images for the upcoming Debian 12 currently.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Cirrus-Dolphin-Linux-Audio.
> <https://www.phoronix.com/news/Cirrus-Dolphin-Linux-Audio>
>
> According to https://packages.debian.org,
>
> xserver-xorg-video-cirrus_1.5.3-1+b3_amd64.deb for Debian Stable (Bullseye)
> does seem to be at
>
> deb http://*ftp.de.debian.org/debian
> <http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian>* bullseye main
>
> but that is not a backport.
>
> When I look at https://packages.debian.org and search
> "bullseye-updates" and "bullseye-backports"
>
> I get this:
>
> "You have searched for packages that names contain cirrus in suite(s)
> bullseye-backports, all sections, and all architectures.
>
> Sorry, your search gave no results".
>

> Searching "bookworm" (testing) does show:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-cirrus_1.5.3-1+b5_amd64.deb
>
> but I don't know if I can use that with my Debian 11.6 "live" usb stick.
>
> I hate to sound stupid, but could someone please tell me how to add that to
> the
> Debian 11.6 "live" usb stick?
>
> I know how to enable the bullseye backports repository in
> /etc/apt/sources.list, but then I dont know how to "get to" and use
> backports; I've never had to do that before.

I don't see why the solution to a sound problem should lie with an
xserver. Sound should work without X running at all. That's why
I wrote:

  Once you've got those [alsamixer] settings, either quit with Escape,
  or move to a different VC or window or xterm or whatever, and run
  $ speaker-test -D hw:0,0 -c 2

IOW you can perform the commands I gave after logging in at the
console, with no DMs, DEs, WMs or anything else.

But you may need a kernel more up-to-date than 5.10: there are
5.18 kernels in bullseye-backports, and these contain:

 * HD audio interface patch for Cirrus Logic CS8409 HDA bridge chip

Cheers,
David.