Re: mkdir: cannot create directory ... : Invalid argument

On 2/12/23, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun 12 Feb 2023 at 21:04:35 (+0000), Albretch Mueller wrote:
>>
>>  I thought the problem related the encoding of characters of the URL
>> from which I was that string, but it is not the case. So, the problem
>> seems to relate to a dot as the last character of the name of a
>> subdirectory on Windows NT filesystems mounted by fuseblk. Is that the
>> case? I had never heard of such thing.
>
> My goto page for this sort of thing is:
>
>   https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file
>
> which says:
>
>  “Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period.
>   Although the underlying file system may support such names,
>   the Windows shell and user interface does not. However, it is
>   acceptable to specify a period as the first character of a name.
>   For example, ".temp".”

 Hmm! Technically speaking I wonder why that would be.
 The only way around the problem is using another filesystem or URL
encoding the whole name when Microsoft doesn't like it, but at times
you are squeezing away some time to code while you are at work where
they only use MS crap, but they would grant you a WSL installation ...
 I was also having those kinds of problems because I work on corpora
research and we need to work with huge amounts of data, so as a way to
keep tabs on "what came from where", I replicate the URLs locally as
best as I can. I realize that idea wasn't as safe as I thought.
 Thank you to all,
 lbrtchx