Re: mkdir: cannot create directory ... : Invalid argument

On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 21:04:35 +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  while in the Windows NT directory:
>  [...]
> mkdir: cannot create directory ‘WeltUndWirkungsprinzip2.Aufl.’: Invalid argument
> [...]
> /dev/sda1      fuseblk   286G  274G   12G  96% /media/user/<...>
>
> [...] So, the problem
> seems to relate to a dot as the last character of the name of a
> subdirectory on Windows NT filesystems mounted by fuseblk. Is that the
> case? I had never heard of such thing.

Yes, Win32/NTFS has a bunch of arbitrary seeming path restrictions, magic
normalisation and illegal names. A single or two trailing dot(s) are
one of the things not valid in Win32 namepsace, in this case due to
path normalisation.
(There are special ways to bypass normalisation, but chances are you’d
have trouble to interact with or even delete such a dir from Windows)

See:
  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/jeremykuhne/path-normalization
and the relevant ntfs-3g option the mounting GUI probably uses:
  https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/ntfs-3g/ntfs-3g.8.en.html#windows_names