Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/9/23 17:41, jeremy ardley wrote:

On 10/2/23 05:32, Michel Verdier wrote:
Le 9 février 2023 gene heskett a écrit :

And where is that info published? Up till now I was not aware of an ipv6 equ
to 192.168.xx.xx addresses.  That could make the cheese quite a bit less
binding. :o)>
You could find a nice list here:
https://www.apnic.net/get-ip/faqs/what-is-an-ip-address/ipv6-address-types/

Every IPv6 aware interface will generate a fixed IP address in addition to any configured by DHCP or DNS or configuration file.

It's of the form fe80:<something derived from the MAC address>

If you use command

ip a

You will see the fe80 addresses assigned to the interfaces.

you can ping them as in

ping fe80::87d:c6ff:fea4:a6fc

you can ssh to them

ssh username@fe80::87d:c6ff:fea4:a6fc

you can add them to /etc/hosts

fe80::87d:c6ff:fea4:a6fc my_file_server_1

and then ssh to them as

ssh username@my_file_server_1

or ping my_file_server_1

So without any infrastructure at all you too can be using ipv6

Jeremy

Possibly enlightening experience, AFTER I remove the # comments in front of the ipv6 stuff the installer put there and reboot.

Thank you Jeremy.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)