Re: Web page management.

> Peter Easthope wrote:
> > <E1pJFp5-0000pH-KD@joule.invalid> <Y8yyNQV+ZPiWeAn1@axis.corp>
> >
> >     From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
> >     Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 21:49:09 -0600
> > > ... you don't state which sort of
> > > pop-ups you're talking about in each case. AIUI the "popup article
> > > preview" you mentioned earlier is not a pop-up in the usual sense,
> > > ie a separate window that pops up to display an advert.
> >
> > OK, thanks.
> >
> > > Personally, I find that these previews save a lot of time by
> > > making it unnecessary to visit many of the article pages that I
> > > preview.
> >
> > Accepted.
> >
> > This question may be more interesting.
> >
> > I went to log in to my account at Canada Revenue Agency, CRA.
> > Analogue of the IRS in the USA.
> >
> > Any browser should open this screenshot. Eg.
> > dillo http://easthope.ca/CRAuMatrixReport.jpg
> > Incidentally, I didn't find a way to get a screenshot from GIMP
> > file > create > screenshot. Consequently the badly composed camera
> > shot.  Anyone with Firefox should be able to duplicate the display
> > without logging in.
> >
> > The requests to adobetm.com, googleapis.com, gstatic.com & etc.
> > interested me. CRA tech. support claimed the external pages must be
> > invoked by Firefox rather than the CRA.  Can that be verified
> > without studying the Firefox source?
>
> Sure. The thing you're looking at is the uBlock Origin widget,
> and it shows things that your browser is being told to retrieve
> by the code of the website that it is looking at.
>
> Just going to https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency.html
>
> shows me this:
>
> canada.ca
> www.canada.ca
> adobedtm.com
> ajax.googleapis.com
> akamaiedge.net
> botframework.com
> demdex.net
> duckduckgo.com
> go-mpulse.net
> gstatic.com
> omtrdc.net
> v0cdn.net
>

> All of these are at www.canada.ca's request.
>
> -dsr-

FWIW, µblock only shows me canada.ca and www.canada.ca

But that's because I run Noscript as well, and it shows me:

DEFAULT…canada.ca
DEFAULT…adobedtm.com
TRUSTED…ajax.googleapis.com
DEFAULT…botframework.com

DEFAULT means UNTRUSTED. So most of those other domains are requested
by some javascript that canada.ca tries to load and execute, but which
fails in my browser because of Noscript.

The report at https://themarkup.org/blacklight?url=www.canada.ca is
vaguely informative.

It all seems fairly typical. The annoying bit is figuring out which
domains you need to allow to make the site function whilst preserving
as much privacy as possible.