Delay in login: lightdm and xfce4

I have lightdm 1.26.0-7, lightdm-gtk-greeter 2.0.8-2, and xfce4 4.16 on
Debian 11.6, on three machines. When I log in to an existing session,
sometimes I get a snappy response and get the desktop quickly. Other
times, there is a a delay, during which I have a black display with the
pointer on it. The pointer responds to mouse movement. The delay has
been anywhere from nearly instantaneous to several minutes.

I don't see anything obvious in /var/log/lightdm/*, but then again a
lot of that is a mystery to me.

Any ideas what's going on?

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?