Re: ASCII formatting for plain text email

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 11:06:44PM +0100, Pierre Willaime wrote:
1- a simple way to draw a line (without pressing 72 times on "-")

Are you using emacs? I'm *sure* there must be a quick short-hand to do
this. I use vi, and the keys to press are
72i-<esc>

I actually write something like this frequently, and it's fast enough
that I've never bothered to shorten via macro or similar.

2- a simple way to align some text to the right (that is to say to
automatically calculate how many spaces are needed to fill the gap
between the text on the left an the text on the right for 72 characters
line.

With vi, for a whole line, it's simply the command :right, assuming
you've configured the desired textwidth (':set tw=72'. My configuration
sets this automatically for mail buffers).

I'm not sure how to do it for only a portion of a line but I'm sure it's
reasonably straightforward (and a little less sure that this holds true
for emacs as well)

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland