Re: difference in seconds between two formatted dates ...

On 12/21/23, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> So... this is interesting.  Apparently timedatectl doesn't simply look
> at the target of /etc/localtime.  There's a DELAY before the value is
> correctly reported.  This tells me that timedatectl is in communication
> with some process (perhaps PID 1, I don't know), and this other process
> only discovers that /etc/localtime has changed after some time has passed.
> Is it *polling*?  I have no idea, but that's what it looks like.

 This thread has taken a life of its own and I have learned quite a
bit from our back and forth. This is not how I intuitively thought it
worked. I thought you had to actively ask the OS to update itself ...
Now I am interested in learning all there is to be learned from this
whole time keeping methodology and how it relates to systemd and the
boot process.

 Is there a way to start the Linux kernel of a Debian Live running
instance enabling you to log the whole process (in a more in depth way
than dmesg) and then go "follow tcp" for each listed process in dmesg
as you do with wireshark?

 lbrtchx