Re: systemd and timezone

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 06:36:34PM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> Servers work in groups and log-aggregation and analysis software is normal
> in that context. And since your web server fleet, for one example, may be
> spread across multiple timezones or multiple continents to reduce latency,
> you configure accordingly.

I am personally a believer in "all servers on UTC all the time;
largely single-user workstations can be user-decided" (just a
personal preference, let's not call each other wrong if we don't
agree with it). However, I was told once by a Google employee that
all of Google's servers use some US local time zone and that it was
largely considered a mistake. Make of that what you will!

Everywhere I've worked that had servers that weren't in UTC had
people expressing misgivings about that, whereas when they were in
UTC that was easier for people to understand.

At one place their servers were set to Europe/London and twice a
year we'd get a spate of support tickets from widely-dispersed users
asking why all the reports on the file servers had "gone
forward/back an hour" (largely non-technical users who just knew how
to use a graphical SCP client). But we never got approval to change
things to remain in UTC all year.

Thanks,
Andy