OT: Pitfalls of online purchases (Was Re: Mouse single click handling?)

On 19.12.2023 23:48, Felix Miata wrote:

Can you suggest any particular online source in North America that sells those
switches? I had no success trying to refurb one in my invaluable Logitech Trackman
Marble FX PS/2 trackball. It took 2 hours to get that tiny switch back together
after disassembly and cleaning. :( A Kensington Orbit I had much better luck with
cleaning, so didn't need a new switch.
I can't unfortunately.

AliExpress is reputable? That's news to me. I ordered something from it 20 months
ago. There was a lot of back and forth email between us before I actually got
something a month later that turned out to be used rather than new, and just as
broken as the original part I was trying to replace. My credit card company
eventually issued a refund after I explained all that happened. That particular
card I rarely used, and hadn't for a number of months before that online purchase
or for several months after. 3 months or so after the refund, there were 4 cash
advances issued on it totaling around $8,000 on the other side of an ocean I had
never crossed. Those got reversed, but my credit rating dropped 100 points and
hasn't come near recovering.
I share information only about my own experiences with AliExpress.
It might be very hard to find a good and reliable store there, but at least their official support and "dispute-system" are working fine.
The important part is that you have to keep all transactions, communications, chats within AliExpress platform.
Never agree to switch to email or any other resource for conversations with sellers. It's just asking to be scammed and AliExpress official customer service will be unable to help you.
I had to open disputes a few times and usually AliExpress officials step-in and resolve the dispute in customer's favor, unless the dispute is unreasonable and there is no evidence.
The whole shopping experience there could be daunting, there is simply too much stores and wares to choose from and their site is not helping, by being difficult and slow.
IMO it is too much of a risk to buy anything expensive there, given that postal service might smash the package during delivery, but ordering something like electronic components, hand tools, repair equipment, spare parts, etc, should be fine.
I had to order spare LCD screens and fragile repair equipment from reputable shops a few times. All delivered without damages.
Sometimes shops send items with a wrong part number, I had to start disputes explaining the problems and return items back. All returns were refunded back to my debit card.
I've never encountered any problems with payments or refunds, and their Escrow-account protection ensures that money will be released to the seller only after customer has received what they ordered.
I've heard there is a frequent "carder" and "skimmer" problem in the United States [1], so those issued card advances you had might be nothing to do with AliExpress, if you paid using their platform.
Anyway, I've used many cards throughout the years to pay for goods on AliExpress and never encountered any suspicious activities.
I also extra careful when I have to reveal my card information online and when I use ATMs.

[1] https://krebsonsecurity.com/?s=carder+skimmer
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀