Re: GRUB -- Debian overrides? Or maybe I just don't understand it well...

Mark Fletcher composed on 2023-12-20 00:28 (UTC):

> I am curious to know from Debian
> GRUBbers (as it were) if the behaviour I am describing in this thread
> is expected...

I suspect few if any regulars here spend much time with Slackware. I think a more
conventional approach would be to reconfigure Slackware to boot by UUID, with the
result that Debian's os-prober should pick it up in the more reliable fashion. I
don't have a bootloader installed on my only Slackware, and have no more
familiarity with ELILO than that it seems to be the Slack user favorite
bootloader. Whether or how well it or its Grub might pick up Debian, or any
proclivity it may have to usurp boot control from Debian or include stanza(s) for
Debian, I have no basis for guessing.

If you can keep your Slack kernel (& initrd if using one) generically symlinked
without much trouble, a stanza you put in /etc/grub.d/41_custom should be able to
boot Slack from Debian's Grub using your custom stanza containing root=LABEL= or
root=UUID= without trouble. Same would go for using 07_custom, or custom.cfg with
06_custom, to move your custom stanza to the Debian Grub menu's top.

Multiboot is as much art as science. Like anything in Gnu/Linux, there are
multiple ways to decouple felines from their skins.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata