Re: GRUB -- Debian overrides? Or maybe I just don't understand it well...

Mark Fletcher composed on 2023-12-18 20:36 (UTC):

> Can anyone explain why, and how I can fix this in a way that will
> still work the next time the bookworm kernel gets an update?

I can't answer why Grub scripts to what the do, because I don't really use them,
and don't need to understand much about them. Grub config files in /boot/grub/ are
akin to scripts, but they are really simple, mainly just command scripts. The
usual one is grub.cfg, the one os-prober feeds from other Linux installations. A
less common one is custom.cfg. To use it requires the admin build it. When it
exists, grub-mkconfig incorporates its use by/in grub.cfg. It actually gets called
by default from /etc/grub.d/41_custom, which adds the stanzas from it to the Grub
boot menu - after those that it has generated itself. I copy it to
/etc/grub.d/07_custom, and empty 41_custom. That causes my custom stanzas to
appear first in Grub's boot menu. /etc/grub.d/40_custom acts, and a copy of it as
06_custom would act, in similar fashion, except that the admin's custom stanzas
are put into it by the admin instead of into a custom.cfg file.

Thus, you, as admin, construct working stanzas however you like, with or without
UUIDS, with or without device names, with or without volume LABELS, however you
like boot to go, and they don't get changed, except by the admin - you. This is
easy, because you as admin can use the kernel (and initrd) symlinks Debian puts in
/, or anywhere you'd like symlinks to them to go, for distros that don't
automatically create them for you. There's no need for maintenance when new
kernels are installed in the case of Debian and other distros that automatically
generate new symlinks. For those that don't, creating them is trivial.

<https://forums.opensuse.org/t/how-to-have-a-custom-uefi-grub-menu-for-a-multiboot-system/133541/2>
is a thread that goes through my UEFI system setups.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata