Re: Why is /var/lib/apt/lists not in /var/cache?

>> That was a typo.  it's `/var/cache/plocate/plocate.db`, sorry.
> My plocate.db is in /var/lib/plocate/, as is bookworm's.
> Is that changing in the future?

Hmm... I could swear that I saw it in /var/cache but every machine
I look at has it in /var/lib, indeed.
[ GNU locate puts its DB in `/var/cache/locate/`, apparently, OTOH.  ]

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.  From what I can tell, there is
no strong reason to put the lists in `/var/lib` rather than
`/var/cache`.  I suspect this is mostly a historical accident (at some
point, erasing `/var/lib/apt/lists` caused problems because that dir
wasn't automatically recreated if missing, so you'd have to `mkdir`
manually as well as create the lock inside of it).

        Stefan