Re: Why is /var/lib/apt/lists not in /var/cache?

On Sun 17 Dec 2023 at 01:06:28 (-0500), Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Some packages will stay the same for years, but in the past week
> > I can see four occasions when changes in list contents have occurred
> > on oldstable. So there's little similarity.
>
> The question is not really whether "apt/lists" is similar to
> "apt/archives", but whether the content of "apt/lists" is appropriate
> for `/var/cache`.

I didn't bring up apt/archives, but my first words posted were:
"This may not answer your question".

> AFAIK nothing bad will happen to your system if you delete
> `/var/lib/apt/lists`.  It will still run as before and you can still
> install packages as before.

As you said.

> The only thing that seems to be impacted is
> that some APT operations will temporarily work in a kind of "degraded"
> mode until the next `apt update`.

As I said.

On how significant that difference is, we beg to differ.

> That seems similar to things like `locate` failing if you remove
> `/var/log/plocate/plocate.db` (until that DB is rebuilt).

It's tricky to discern your point as /var/log/ is not involved.

Cheers,
David.