Re: raid10 is killing me, and applications that aren't willingtowaitfor it to respond

On 12/15/23 22:58, David Christensen wrote:
On 12/15/23 18:23, gene heskett wrote:
I use the bleeding edge AppImage version of OpenSCAD, heavily, it has no such problems.  And no error outputs on the cli, it Just Works.

Thank you for the reply.  :-)

Do you mean the following?

https://openscad.org/downloads.html

OpenSCAD-2021.01-x86_64.AppImage.asc
No, thats quite old and slow, scroll down until you find the current linux AppImage, its much faster.

QIDISlicer gives these two errors instantly on launch from cli
Cannot register URI scheme wxfs more than once

** (qidi-slicer:24330): CRITICAL **: 12:29:20.900: Cannot register URI scheme memory more than once

QIDISlicer has jillions of gtk2 things:
(qidi-slicer:24330): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:29:21.017: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

(qidi-slicer:24330): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 04:04:12.705: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkSpinButton including 50+ of the second, and many more gtk_gedget as it opens and works.  And I blame the packager since there is no more gtk2 in the debian repo's.

Which QIDISlicer -- e.g. version?

1.0.8 just released

Where did you get it -- e.g. Debian package, AppImage, source tarball, etc.?
From qidi's site on github

Cura, latest 5.5.0 AppImage has a few warnings but opens in about 10 seconds and works fine from there.

Cura version and source?

From the Ultimaker site link
UltiMaker-Cura-5.5.0-linux-X64.AppImage

There are other AppImages but most either won't run or fail if writing.

We can save those for later.

digiKam v8.2.0 cannot import from my camera because (and this is a swag) it cannot get instant write perms. It can see everything in the camera, but cannot download anything. And does not report any errors on the cli when it fails.  It goes thru te motions, blinking all the lights, but gimp cannot find the images it just went thru the motions of downloading.

digiKam version and source?
digiKam-8.2.0-20230907T053317-x86-64.appimage, kde hosted

Shotwell has the delay, and can import from the camera.

Shotwell version and source?

Whatever is in bookworm repos for amd64/x86-64

Spectacle works in 5 secs, but kills plasma as it exits.

Spectacle version and source?

Whatever is in the bookworm repo's

Debugging issues for any of the above programs is likely going to require duplicating your Debian configuration.   Are you prepared to provide these details?

As a alternative to, or in parallel with, duplicating your Debian, duplicating your apps, and debugging the combination stack, you might want to implement a work-around -- install a hypervisor, pick one application, create a virtual machine, install only enough Debian to support that application, install that application and nothing else, and use the application.  Repeat for each application.  (Of course, this presumes you can find a hypervisor that runs without issues on  your Debian.)

I'm only moderatly fam with that, and don't use it anymore, but octoprint uses the python version on the arm64's, but don't use octoprint since I found klipper. The python version is a bit of a pita to setup but works ok if I can remember the creation order. klipper is at home on the arms and doesn't need that complexity. It is also much more capable of handling 3d printers. Point being that it is not installed or used on this machine, I've only used it on the arm sbc's.

Another hypervisor idea -- do a fresh install of only enough Debian to support a hypervisor, install the hypervisor, then convert your existing Debian instance into a VM.

Since qidislicer has not been rebased since buster, setting up a hypervisor and installing buster on it makes more sense but I'm pushing qidi to rebase it on a more modern release, preferably bookworm or even trixie. qidi has been very helpful so far but the request for a rebase has so far been somewhat miss-understood due to the nuances of the language barrier between me, an old English only Iowa farm kid, and the support person I'm messaging sometimes daily, who has some difficulty with English idioms & "slanguage" she did not learn in school. Otoh, this is by far the best Chinese support person I've ever dealt with. The slicer itself is excellent and its failures have good work-arounds as the whole maryann uses a web interface, any browser can run the printer as long as its on the local net address block.

In any case, that NVMe PCIe SSD would be ideal for VM's.

No doubt but physically installing it is a major teardown and re-assembly of this machine, its located under several of the other cards in the machine. And local access to it is limited, so I usually unplug everything and lug it all to a low table in the kitchen. This computer is a huge tower, weighs about 45 lbs and I'm 89 with a bad back. Now I need to clarify a dhcpd.conf problem. But that is another post entirely. Thank you a lot David.

David

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)