Re: Problem with /var/cache/apt/archives/

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 08:45:41AM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I am running Bookworm on my Debian computer. When I installed the OS I
> selected the option for separate /var etc, and selected the default sizes of
> the partitions.

How many disks are there?  *How* did you partition them?  Are you using
raw partitions under GPT or DOS partition tables?  Are you using LVM?
RAID?  Encryption?

> When I ran sudo apt update this morning I received the error message:
>
> E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/
>
> Can I increase the size of the /var partition on the ssd without having to
> reinstall the system?

If you used LVM and left a bunch of the disk unassigned, then you simply
assign some more space to the corresponding LV.

If there's any free space left over that you *didn't* assign to a
partition, you could create a separate /var/cache/apt file system and
mount that on top of /var.  If not, then you'd need to steal some space
from another partition.

Or, perhaps, you just need to delete some old files from
/var/cache/apt/archives.  How big *is* your /var partition?  How much
space is currently used by /var/cache/apt?  What's your retention policy
for the .deb files?