Re: LifeCD

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:31:28 +0100
Arno Lehmann <al@its-lehmann.de> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> On 14.12.23 at 19:01, Joe wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:41:04 +0200
> > yxcv@vienna.at wrote:
> >
> >> I no longer try to make the lifecd.img of debianworking perfect
> >> and now I change to KNOPPER as it is really much better.
> >>
> >> I really do recommend it.
> >>

> > Knoppix is excellent for the purposes for which it is designed. But
> > it is not upgradable, every new Knoppix must be a new installation.
> >

> yxcv does explicitly *not* want to install.

Yes, I saw the 'lifecd', but I was pointing out the difference in aims
of the two distributions, and the fact that they are not equally suited
to all purposes. Knoppix can be installed but is intended to be a live
distribution, Debian isn't really. If you want to run a portable
Debian, and I did that for a while, make a standard installation on a
USB medium.

> > Debian is designed with a lot of effort going into making it
> > upgradable indefinitely, as well as for being a server OS. Knoppix
> > is mainly intended for troubleshooting, particularly hardware.
>
> Quite so. And I doubt there are good ways to add a wide range of
> additional software, but that's something he or she will have to
> check out. Probably move to a different mailing list in between,
> though.

If Knoppix is run from a read-write medium rather than a CD, additional
software can be installed and persistent configurations made. It still
isn't really comfortable as a working OS (I've also tried that), it's
intended for occasional use for demonstration or troubleshooting. Your
friend has offered you a laptop he no longer uses? Run Knoppix, to see
if Debian will work and drive the hardware. But don't install Knoppix,
use Debian.

For many years I have carried with me the latest Knoppix, currently on
a micro SD card. But all my computers have Debian installed, either
stable or unstable. Horses for courses.

--
Joe