Re: update-ca-certificates

On 14/12/23 08:54, Pocket wrote:

I have just finished writing some scripts to generate certs for my email server and nginx server.

The scripts allow me to become my own CA.

You don't have to be your own CA. It's very easy to use letsencrypt to generate valid certificates for hosts even if they are not directly connected to the internet.

In my case I use letsencrypt for certificates for nginx, dovecot, and postfix. They all use the same certificates maintained by letsencrypt/certbot by linking to it in their configuration,

letsencrypt/certbot manages all the certificates and necessary renewals using cron jobs at regular intervals.

The situations where you still need to be your own CA are for applications like OpenVPN and certificates for ssh servers and clients