Re: Image handling in mutt

debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:
> songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
>> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>>
>>   there is rarely a need to e-mail me directly.

>> > Again. You have one script, say /usr/local/bin/ring-the-bells.sh
>> > You use it in several other scripts. If you now re-implement it
>> > in your favourite Pascal as ring-the-bells.pas or something, you
>> > go over all your executables and fix that?
>> >
>> > IMO an executable name should indicate /what/ an executable does,
>> > not /how/.
>>
>>   i'm fine with that, but i'm also capable enough to know
>> how to search through a code base to find all the strings
>> i might need to change.
>
> You make the anti-heroic assumption that your code is never used
> outside of your control (or specifically, outside of your code base).

  if someone else uses it then they can do what
they want with it.  i can only control my own local
system and that is all i am concerned about.

  in actual programming with libraries there are
these things called APIs and ABIs and both are
usually documented and defined if it is important
enough and used enough.  IMO most of my code does
not reach that level of use.

>>   i just scanned a few of my projects and noted i do not
>> use the .sh extension much at all for the binaries/executables,
>> but parts of the code may have that extension.
>
> That's a fine choice, as long as none of the internals will be exposed
> externally, IMHO. Though I confess I do often add a .pl extension to
> filenames :(

  not something i'm worried about for sure.

> PS I suspect tomas sent mail to you for the same reason I nearly did,
> namely that you or your mailer explicitly asked for it with a reply-to
> header. Certainly my claws MUA interprets that as meaning you want a
> copy too.

  correct, so if you are going to reply to me personally
that is the right address to use, but since i interact
with this list via gmane and usenet a followup to me should
go to the list and not to me personally.

  i would assume that group reply is one that everyone
should be using automatically for mail list participation
using a mail client unless the person mentions they are
not subscribed and would like personal replies.

  songbird