Re: Release process notes [WAS Need clarifications about how to deal with the installed problematic kernel, linux-image-6.1.0-14-amd64 (6.1.64-1)]

Hi Andy

I thought the metapackage doesn't have the notation linux-image-[foo]-amd64. It is simply called linux-image-amd64 (as an example, please click the following link: https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/linux-image-amd64)

> When you first install, I suspect it's that package that makes sure your
> kernel version is up to date. When you update between point releases
> likewise.
>
> Hard removing the latest kernel _and_ the metapackage prevents you
> from updating to the buggy kernel but you have to do some tidying up
> afterwards. :)

I'm sorry but you lost me there.

Let's use linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64 as an example for me to understand what you wrote above.

The metapackage of linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64 is called linux-image-amd64 (cf. https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/linux-image-amd64)

I remember that when I upgrade packages, including kernels, in a terminal, the results of

sudo apt update

will always list

linux-image-amd64

Suppose linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64 is installed successfully and I reboot my device.

A few days from now, I decide to remove linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64 because it is buggy and so in a terminal, I type the commands:

sudo apt remove linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64

or

sudo apt purge linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64

sudo update-grub

sudo shutdown -r now

Based on the above commands, I have some questions for you. They are:

(1) Is it a "hard" or "soft" removal of linux-image-6.1.0-15-amd64?

(2) Is the metapackage linux-image-amd64 removed?

(3) What do you mean by your statement "prevents you from updating to the buggy kernel but you have to do some tidying up afterwards"?

Thanks, Andy for taking the time and effort to clarify my doubts.

Best regards.

Stella