Re: Need clarifications about how to deal with the installed problematic kernel, linux-image-6.1.0-14-amd64 (6.1.64-1)

Hi Greg

> Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2023 at 11:08 PM
> From: "Greg Wooledge" <greg@wooledge.org>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Need clarifications about how to deal with the installed problematic kernel, linux-image-6.1.0-14-amd64 (6.1.64-1)
>

> Note that purging 6.1.0-14 will also remove the linux-image-amd64
> metapackage, which has a hard dependency on it (at the moment).

What is/was the hard dependency?

> Only if you reinstall the kernel metapackage as soon as you notice that
> there's been another point release.
>
> This is not a criticism of Andrew's post.  I'm just reminding everyone,
> including myself, that we're going to have to remember to do this extra
> step.

As of writing this reply, there's a new point release, 12.4.0

What if I don't reinstall the kernel's metapackage as soon as there's a new point release? Or if I forget to reinstall it?

Thanks for your clarification.

Best wishes.

Stella