Re: Need clarifications about how to deal with the installed problematic kernel, linux-image-6.1.0-14-amd64 (6.1.64-1)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 03:26:16AM +0100, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> What command did you use? Was it
>
> sudo dpkg -i linux-image-amd64_6.1.55-1_amd64.deb

Yes.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 03:32:55AM +0100, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> As of writing this reply, there's a new point release, 12.4.0
>
> What if I don't reinstall the kernel's metapackage as soon as there's a new point release? Or if I forget to reinstall it?

Well, the question is what you want.  If you want to use the new point
release, then you can simply do "apt update", "apt install linux-image-amd64"
and "apt upgrade" or whatever you would normally do.  That would get you
back to normal, on the new point release.

If you want to stick with the 6.1.0-13 kernel for a little while, but
use the point release for the other packages, then you can leave the
linux-image-amd64 package removed for now.  Whenever you're ready to try
the new kernel, install linux-image-amd64 at that time.

If you want to stick with 6.1.0-13, but use the point release for other
stuff, but you're afraid you'll forget to reinstall linux-image-amd64,
then you could install the old version of it (as I did), but DO NOT use
"apt upgrade", as that pulls in new packages.  Use "apt-get upgrade"
instead, and you won't get any new packages, including kernels with new
ABI version numbers.

Or use other solutions, for other desired outcomes.