Re: Synaptic Problem

I appreciated the suggestion, but it didn't solve the problem with Synaptic.

On 12/10/2023 11:03 AM, Arno Lehmann wrote:
Hi all,

Am 10.12.2023 um 16:53 schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:
On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 10:47:09AM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I have just reinstalled Bookworm.

Unfortunately, when I tru tto use synaptic I get the following error:

E: The package brscan4 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive
for it.

brscan4 is not in the official Debian repos. Perhaps you have installed
it from another source which has disappeared.

Superficial Internet search suggests that it is a Brother thing.

Indeed it is.

Brother have some installation helper script, but that is not really playing nicely with the idea of using remote repos for installation. It may be simplest to use dpkg to uninstall the brscan4 package, do the necessary upgrades etc., and then install the brother stuff again.

That way, you'll also have relatively up to date Brother drivers.

If you want to avoid the odyssey through Brother's web site, have a look at https://pieterhollander.nl/post/brother-printer-debian/ and consider just believing them.

Cheers,

Arno

--