Re: Local time in databases (Re: ntpsec as server questions)

On Thu, Dec 7, 2023, 8:11 PM Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
On 07/12/2023 23:08, tomas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 10:29:29PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
>> On 07/12/2023 21:22, John Hasler wrote:
>>> Databases should never store local time.
>>
>> There are exceptions when storing UTC instead of local time leads to
>> undesired consequences.
>
> Heh. There was one huge thread in Emacs user about a year ago (don't
> ask me in which time zone).

Perhaps you mean emacs-ormode.
Leaving aside future timestamps that may need local time, significant
fraction of timestamps may be reliably represented in UTC.
As I said above I see nothing wrong in local time with explicit time
offset. Mail has been using it for decades:
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:08:50 +0100

All of these considerations are what brought Oracle to create a proprietary "datetime" datatype and use it to store all "real" dates/times. If you need a different format for display purposes or a human readable column, you can extract it and do that. But the internal  representation will be driven by other needs.
YMMV :-)