Re: ntpsec as server questions

On Wed 06 Dec 2023 at 20:44:29 (-0500), Pocket wrote:
> On 12/6/23 19:46, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > > See my other post
> > If you mean<https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/12/msg00376.html>
> > there are zero URLs in your text.  "Someone named Pocket said so" is not a
> > strong enough assertion for me to reject every other source citation
> > I've found.
> >
> Start Here
>
> The *Standard Time Act* of 1918, also known as the *Calder Act*, was
> the first United States <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>
> federal law implementing Standard time
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_time#North_America> and
> Daylight saving time in the United States <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States>.^[2]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Time_Act#cite_note-2> It
> defined five time zones for the United States and authorized the
> Interstate Commerce Commission
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Commerce_Commission> to
> define the limits of each time zone.
>
> The section concerning daylight saving time was repealed by the act
> titled /An Act For the repeal of the daylight-saving law/, Pub. L.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Law_(United_States)>Tooltip
> Public Law (United States) 66–40
> <https://uslaw.link/citation/us-law/public/66/40>, 41 Stat.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Statutes_at_Large> 280
> <https://legislink.org/us/stat-41-280>, enacted August 20, 1919, over
> President Woodrow Wilson
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson>'s veto.
>
> Section 264 of the act mistakenly placed most of the state of Idaho
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho> (south of the Salmon River
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_River_(Idaho)>) in UTC−06:00
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9206:00> CST (Central
> Standard Time <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Standard_Time>),
> but was amended in 2007 by Congress to UTC−07:00
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9207:00> MST (Mountain
> Standard Time
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Standard_Time>).^[3]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Time_Act#cite_note-google-3>
> MST was observed prior to the correction.

That's the idea—you have to go back to sources, and as you find them,
you check whether they actually took effect (newspaper archives being
a useful source here), and then you make "fixes and enhancements" to
the database, just as you quoted earlier.

As for the choice of "New York", perhaps easiest to quote the Wiki page:

 “Location is the name of a specific location within the area –
  usually a city or small island.

 “Country names are not normally used in this scheme, primarily
  because they would not be robust, owing to frequent political and
  boundary changes. The names of large cities tend to be more
  permanent. Usually the most populous city in a region is chosen
  to represent the entire time zone, although another city may be
  selected if it is more widely known, and another location, including
  a location other than a city, may be used if it results in a less
  ambiguous name. In the event that the name of the location used
  to represent the time zone changes, the convention is to create an
  alias in future editions so that both the old and new names
  refer to the same database entry.

 “In some cases the Location is itself represented as a compound name,
  for example the time zone "America/Indiana/Indianapolis". Three-level
  names include those under "America/Argentina/...",
  "America/Kentucky/...", "America/Indiana/...", and
  "America/North_Dakota/...".

 “The location selected is representative for the entire
  area. However, if there were differences within the area before 1970,
  the time zone rules only apply in the named location.”

Earlier, you wrote: "BTW there isn't any timezone called
America/New_York, it is or course the Eastern Standard Time Zone."

America/New_York is the name of a set of rules in the timezone
database, and we're discussing the relative merits of different sets
of rules, not the merits of the names.

Cheers,
David.