Re: ntpsec as server questions

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 06:11:16PM -0500, Pocket wrote:
> Because DST was not in force/usage except the metro NYC. Every where else
> didn't use/have it.
>
> That makes EST5DST correct except for NYC and America/New_York completely
> incorrect except of course NYC.

(EST5EDT not EST5DST.)  Now this is interesting.  If the America/New_York
zone definition is *wrong* for me, then I'd like to use one that's less
wrong.  Is there an "Olson format" time zone definition that's actually
correct for cities like... Cleveland, just as a random example?

I found
<https://www.convertit.com/Go/ConvertIt/World_Time/Current_Time.ASP?For=Cleveland+Ohio+United+States>
which says that Cleveland is using America/New_York ... and basically
all the other web sites I've found either show just the current time
(gee thanks, I knew the *current* time), or they only have data back
to 1970, like <https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/usa/cleveland>.

Looking at the actual tzdata source, as present in Debian
<https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/tzdata/-/blob/sid/northamerica>
I see the following comments:

# US eastern time, represented by New York

# Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, most of Florida,
# Georgia, southeast Indiana (Dearborn and Ohio counties), eastern Kentucky
# (except America/Kentucky/Louisville below), Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,
# New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio,
# Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, eastern Tennessee,
# Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia

So, basically every reference I can find, and every reference I've *ever*
found, other than Pocket's email, has said that America/New_York is
correct for me.