Re: ntpsec as server questions

On 2023-12-06, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> Honestly, I don't see the appeal of using legacy time zone names.  Is
> it just for the sake of contrariness?

No lack of contrariness around here. There exists such a thing as putting too
fine a point on a thing, a notion which appears to escape some technical
mentalities.

In defence of time zones (they don't really need it, I guess):

 Why are the clocks in Urumqi, China, so far out of kilter with the cycles of
 the sun? Because of a legacy of Mao Zedong and the Communist Party’s desire for
 unified control. Though China is almost as wide as the continental United
 States, the whole country is officially in just one time zone — Beijing time.

 So when it’s 7 a.m. in the Forbidden City, it’s also officially 7 a.m. 2,000
 miles to the west in Urumqi, the capital of the Xinjiang region — even if the
 stars are still out there.

 That can lead to headaches — and lost sleep. “It’s hard to adjust,” says Gao
 Li, a sanitation worker in Urumqi. “I often think we must be the only people
 who eat dinner at midnight.”

 So schools, airports and train stations operate at odd hours; national exams
 are sometimes given in the dead of night; and restaurants stay open for dinner
 into the wee hours.

 The eccentricities of the clock also tend to divide people in Xinjiang by
 ethnicity. The Uighurs, Turkic-speaking Muslims who consider the region their
 homeland, tend to set their clocks two hours earlier, to more closely match the
 local day. But the Han Chinese who live there, members of China’s predominant
 ethnic group, generally follow Beijing time. The discrepancies can be a source
 of confusion and frustration, especially for younger people who frequently
 socialize across ethnic lines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/world/asia/china-single-time-zone.html