Re: Request advice on Optimal Combo-usage of Gmail and Mailman, as mentioned in Msg-Id. "2023/11/msg00443"

"Susmita/Rajib" <bkpsusmitaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been listening to the conversations on my thread begun with my
> post https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/11/msg00505.html
>
> In my first email itself I had mentioned that I use "Gmail webmail
> email-server".

So have I, mostly for my amusement.

> Yet in one of the replies I received, I get a comment like, "...
> It sounds like whatever you are using to read email (your MUA) is
> not very good. What software are you using for that purpose? You
> mention Gmail, but as far as I know (I am not a Gmail user myself),
> Gmail's web interface does do threading properly ..."
>
> In these cases I am really concerned by the short attention and memory
> span of some users. I wonder how far they will proceed in their
> professions. I would have read a post thoroughly, ensured that I have
> understood it, then replied. Otherwise, I wouldn't have replied at all
> until I considered myself competent to reply.

Welcome to the real world. You may choose how to behave and others may
choose differently. How they choose to behave here may well be
different to how they behave in other places, for example, so it's
dangerous to extrapolate without further evidence. But people here do
generally try to help those, like you, who come to seek help. The onus
is on those who seek help to be tolerant of those who offer it, and not
to always expect perfection from everybody.

> I am not that tormented by a lack of social interactions that I would
> jump on to a conversation without due diligence just to relieve myself
> of my social isolation.
>
> There is more garbage that follows from the individual, but I shall
> choose to ignore, and not unnecessarily waste my time on such
> individuals, but prefer to engage with Mr. David, Mr. George, Mr.
> Verdier and other such constructive co-users.

Frankly this is insulting and I suggest you apologize for it.

> To Mr. Rogers, I would say that Gmail and Google were successful
> because they offered plenty of space for all files, including emails,
> to be kept organised in one place. That serves me fine.
>
> Earlier, I used to use webmail clients that were set up to handle
> IMAP, beginning with thunderbird. For a time, I used claws mail. Then
> as time progressed I found it better and lighter to use the Gmail
> webmail interface accessed from firefox-esr. I seldom had the
> necessity for complex threading options, so I didn't need an email
> client / email reader / Message (or mail) User Agent.

To each their own. You have chosen one path and I happen to have chosen
a different one. I have plenty of space on my own disks for my own
email and everything else, and I prefer to keep it all myself. I use
claws and am happy with it. I use POP3 and am happy with it. I don't
have a google account, nor any social media account, and I don't have
any android phone/device because I don't have a google account. (I
tried using f-droid but found it too limiting). I'm happy with my own
arrangements, just as you are happy with yours.

> There is one problem with Gmail, Mr. Verdier. If I reply to my own
> email, ensuring that I have kept a portion of the header intact, to
> reply to say debian-user@lists..., and changed/added/altered the
> subject line to [solved] or [was ...], and send it, Gmail invariably
> treats that email as a different subject and shows it as a separate
> conversation (or thread, as I say). Yes, I agree with Mr. David to
> better use 'Thread' as 'Conversation' instead.
>
> In the end, what to me appears to be lacking from Debian side is a
> user(or client) side email interface for us to send emails directly
> to, and configure our settings to optionally receive from, the Debian
> Mailing Lists, bypassing the middleman interface like Gmail webmail.
> There is a native Debian interface for Bug Reporting. But nothing
> more. I might be mistaken in my perception. Please correct me if I am.

Well you can always reply through the Debian web interface. e.g.

Or you can use claws as I do. And I'm sure there are many other ways.
But none of the ways involve Debian having to do anything different.

> But a disclaimer: Team Debian, please don't get me wrong: you have
> already done enough for us, or to phrase myself better, we have done
> enough for ourselves already, continuing to have our freedom from the
> constant bombardment of commercial advertisements that we as Android
> users occasionally suffer from.

Speak for yourself. I don't use android.

> Ok, then it appears that I would have to live with this difficulty
> presently until gmail improves its webmail application to something
> like SmartList. If adequate buzz is made on social media, maybe Google
> could buy SmartList or strike some sort of a business deal with it.

Speak for yourself. I don't use social media. Also I have no idea what
SmartList is (please don't enlighten me).

> Thank you for presenting a wider perspective for me, my fellow
> co-users of Debian.
>
> Best wishes.

And to you.