Re: Request advice on Optimal Combo-usage of Gmail and Mailman, as mentioned in Msg-Id. "2023/11/msg00443"

I have been listening to the conversations on my thread begun with my
post https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/11/msg00505.html

In my first email itself I had mentioned that I use "Gmail webmail
email-server".

Yet in one of the replies I received, I get a comment like, "...
It sounds like whatever you are using to read email (your MUA) is
not very good. What software are you using for that purpose? You
mention Gmail, but as far as I know (I am not a Gmail user myself),
Gmail's web interface does do threading properly ..."

In these cases I am really concerned by the short attention and memory
span of some users. I wonder how far they will proceed in their
professions. I would have read a post thoroughly, ensured that I have
understood it, then replied. Otherwise, I wouldn't have replied at all
until I considered myself competent to reply.

I am not that tormented by a lack of social interactions that I would
jump on to a conversation without due diligence just to relieve myself
of my social isolation.

There is more garbage that follows from the individual, but I shall
choose to ignore, and not unnecessarily waste my time on such
individuals, but prefer to engage with Mr. David, Mr. George, Mr.
Verdier and other such constructive co-users.

To Mr. Rogers, I would say that Gmail and Google were successful
because they offered plenty of space for all files, including emails,
to be kept organised in one place. That serves me fine.

Earlier, I used to use webmail clients that were set up to handle
IMAP, beginning with thunderbird. For a time, I used claws mail. Then
as time progressed I found it better and lighter to use the Gmail
webmail interface accessed from firefox-esr. I seldom had the
necessity for complex threading options, so I didn't need an email
client / email reader / Message (or mail) User Agent.

There is one problem with Gmail, Mr. Verdier. If I reply to my own
email, ensuring that I have kept a portion of the header intact, to
reply to say debian-user@lists..., and changed/added/altered the
subject line to [solved] or [was ...], and send it, Gmail invariably
treats that email as a different subject and shows it as a separate
conversation (or thread, as I say). Yes, I agree with Mr. David to
better use 'Thread' as 'Conversation' instead.

In the end, what to me appears to be lacking from Debian side is a
user(or client) side email interface for us to send emails directly
to, and configure our settings to optionally receive from, the Debian
Mailing Lists, bypassing the middleman interface like Gmail webmail.
There is a native Debian interface for Bug Reporting. But nothing
more. I might be mistaken in my perception. Please correct me if I am.

But a disclaimer: Team Debian, please don't get me wrong: you have
already done enough for us, or to phrase myself better, we have done
enough for ourselves already, continuing to have our freedom from the
constant bombardment of commercial advertisements that we as Android
users occasionally suffer from.

Ok, then it appears that I would have to live with this difficulty
presently until gmail improves its webmail application to something
like SmartList. If adequate buzz is made on social media, maybe Google
could buy SmartList or strike some sort of a business deal with it.

Thank you for presenting a wider perspective for me, my fellow
co-users of Debian.

Best wishes.