Re: Hardware for a back up server? [WAS Re: How to use dmsetuup?]

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 1:48 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > I have used ssd drives connected to a RPI4 ever since the 4 came out,
> > zero issues.
> > The RPI4's boot from the ssd drives.
> > I have 4 SSD drives connected to a single RPI4 currently, using a powered
> > USB hub.
>
> Hmm...  so maybe the USB connection is not directly relevant either and
> the real issue is the power?

>From what I've read when comparing OpenMediaVault vs TrueNAS, it
usually comes down to the power consumption of the mini computer/mini
pc. 5W can save you $100 USD per year. Probably more now due to
inflation. But the use cases they discuss often includes transcoding
of video streams, which I don't think is needed in the case of
backups. See, for example,
<https://www.androidauthority.com/cheap-diy-nas-server-3348392/>.

Related, I am getting ready to standup a NAS for my home network.
(Currently I'm doing some half-ass file sharing). The enclosure
hardware on the short list are <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CN4Z4PC/>
and <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3WDHLD>. The mini computer the
enclosure will be attached to will be USB 3.1 or 3.2 capable for 10
GB/s or 20 GB/s throughput.

Eventually my network will need to be upgraded to at least 2.5 GB/s to
take advantage of the throughput. I'm waiting for prices to drop a
bit. 2.5 GB/s and 5.0 GB/s network cards, switches and Cat 8 cables
are still a bit expensive.

Jeff