Hardware for a back up server? [WAS Re: How to use dmsetuup?]

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 10:22:07PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On 11/10/23 19:46, David Christensen wrote:
> > On 11/8/23 02:20, gene heskett wrote:
> > > And I just looked at tht pair, and acc gparted they have both been
> > > pvcreated, so I'll leave then alone and steal the dvd cable, puttin
> > > a new 2T drive if I can rig power to it.
> >

> > As I previously suggested, and as you previously seemed agreeable to, I
> > think you should stop working on the Asus and build a backup server.
> >
> I'm thinking of making a slow one out of a headless bananapi-5 with a 2T on
> every usb3 port as a raid, type to be determined, I rather like the idea of
> parity being striped across all 4 disks. I have the drives but not sure of
> the usb-sata adapters, need to goto the garage and retrieve that box. That,
> and there's only one of me ;o)>  And me is 89 yo with a worn out body. A
> pacemaker and some new parts in my heart too.

Gene,

Are these 2TB SSDs or hard disks? I would counsel very strongly indeed
against using any ARM-based single board computer as a RAID device on
USB connections - they're just *not* up to it.

Get a cheap barebones system that you add memory to in a small-ish size
case with SATA cables to motherboard ports that's Intel/AMD based that
you can then put disks into to format. If you can't get a barebones,
at least get a second hand machine in a tower case.

Build a simple Debian system on one disk there to format other disks :)
Once you've built a simple Debian system there, you can add mdadm RAID
and use it as a backup storage device to copy off your /home and so on.

> Startech adapters are working very well to a pair of smaller SSD's on the
> rpi4b that runs my old (80+) Sheldon 11"x54" lathe, teaching it new tricks
> it never dreamed of doing 80+ years ago. Metric or imperial, it doesn't
> care.  Even cuts threads I've invented.  I have a complete linuxcnc buildbot
> on that pi. The latest bpi runs at 2 gigahertz which is about twice as fast
> as the pi's.

USB adapters will work well until you are _absolutely_ reliant on them,
then there will be a problem in my experience :(

> > > This mobo also claims to be able to do the intel version of a raid
> > > on its own sata ports.  Does anyone here have experience doing that?
> >

> > Yes, but I prefer software RAID -- because I can move the disks to
> > another computer with different hardware and the arrays will still work.
> >  Hardware RAID typically requires compatible hardware.

Yes, absolutely agreed with David on this.

> > David
> >
> > .
> Understood before hand.  Thanks David, take care & stay well.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy
[amacater@debian.org]